Camp Hanes

On a cold, rainy day, the sixth grade at Durham Academy went to Camp Hanes in September. When we got to school, we waited for everyone to get there. Once everyone got there, we lined up with our advisory and put out bags under the bus we were on. There were two buses. I was on bus two. The bus ride was two hours long. I was on bus two. We did fun things like watching a movie, talking, and passing around candy. When we finally got to camp Hanes, we put our bags in the gym then went to a big room. We then got our cabin assignments. We also met the counselors. 

I  was in cabin eight I went to my cabin and put my stuff down. My cabin adult, Mrs. Ellis, told us our cabin activity groups. I was in group six. After that, we had lunch. We had mac’n cheese and chicken. I sat at the table where all the forgotten kids sat. It was by far the best table. After lunch, everyone went to the airnasium. We found our groups and lined up. I went archery first, then canoeing, then hiking. The hike was my favorite because it was hard, fun, and when we got to the top, the view was great. For dinner, we had spaghetti and garlic bread. Before we went to bed,  we had s’mores.

I’m proud that I didn’t get hurt on the hike, and that I didn’t use the rope to get up the steep hills. We were supposed to go to Camp Cheerio, but they didn’t have enough staff. I’m grateful that Durham Academy gave us that opportunity.

One thought on “Camp Hanes